Topic: MERS Alert & Camel Banning At Mecca
Reply
no photo

SassyEuro2

Sun 09/13/15 09:06 AM

The National
Sunday, September 13 ,2015
Health  

Ban on camels being sacrificed during Haj in Mecca, says Dubai scientist
Anam Rizvi

DUBAI // Camels will not be sacrificed during this year’s Haj in Mecca in an attempt to stop the spread of the Mers coronavirus.

Dr Ulrich Wernery, scientific director at the Central Veterinary Research Laboratory (CVRL) in Dubai, said he was part of a team that recommended the measures to the Saudi Arabian ministry of health.

A genetic link between the Mers found in humans and a similar disease in camels has been found, prompting scientists to believe that camels were the most likely source of transmission from animals to humans.

Dr Wernery is involved in a CVRL study of camel herds in the UAE to investigate the links.

In April, he attended the Global Centre for Mass Gathering Medicine conference in Riyadh, where he was part of a committee of health experts that proposed the camel ban to the Saudi ministry.

“We recommended that camels should not be sacrificed this year during Haj and the proposal was accepted,” said Dr Wernery. “Camels can be sacrificed in other parts of the country but should not be done by the pilgrims during Haj.

“People are advised not to touch or embrace camels. One may click pictures of them but a distance of two to three metres should be maintained,” said Dr Wernery.

About 1.3 million animals – camels, goats, sheep and cows – are sacrificed during the Haj in Mecca.

Traditionally, animals were slaughtered by the pilgrims themselves during the Eid Al Adha festival, which starts on the 10th day of the Dhu Al Hijjah month, or around October 3 this year.

These days, however, many pilgrims buy a voucher for the animals to be slaughtered in their name.

A camel or a cow can represent the sacrifice of seven people, whereas a goat or sheep can only represent one.

According to the World Health Organisation (WHO), strains of Mers coronavirus matching the human virus have been found in camels in Egypt, Qatar, and Saudi Arabia.

These and other studies have found Mers coronavirusr antibodies in camels across Africa and the Middle East.

Other animals, including goats, cows, sheep, and wild birds, have been tested for antibodies to Mers coronavirus, but so far none have been found in these animals.

These studies combined support the premise that camels were a likely source of infection in humans.

As well as avoiding camels, pilgrims have been advised to take other precautions.

“The pilgrimage is usually extremely crowded and that creates a high-risk environment for those taking part,” said Dr Mushira Enani, head of the infectious diseases section at King Fahad Medical City in Saudi Arabia.

She recommended that pilgrims should wear face masks in crowded places and regularly wash hands and use hand sanitisers.

“We advise that pilgrims maintain a balanced diet, healthy sleeping habits, practise standard infection-prevention precautions, maintain personal and respiratory hygiene and avoid handshakes with obviously ill people,” she said.

The WHO also advised the avoidance of close contact with camels, visiting farms and consuming unpasteurised camel milk or improperly cooked meat.

Pilgrims were also advised to avoid going to crowded places, and isolate themselves if they have a fever or cough until they recover.

The symptoms of the disease, which has killed about 27 per cent of people infected with it, are fever, cough, shortness of breath and diarrhea.

Older people and those with chronic diseases, such as diabetes, heart problems or lung disease, appear to be more susceptible to the virus.

This month, the Health Authority – Abu Dhabi recommended that pilgrims from the UAE should get vaccinations before departing for Mecca.
--------------------------------------------------
MERS Warning as pilgrims prepare to visit Mecca during outbreak.

Daily News & New Scientist
9-11-2015

The Hajj: haven for pilgrims, hotbed for disease

This month 2 million Muslims are expected to converge on Mecca, Saudi Arabia, for the Hajj. The MERS virus is way ahead of them, prompting concerns that pilgrims may catch and spread the disease.

MERS emerged in Saudi Arabia in 2012, and new cases continue to appear. Of the 1500 cases reported globally so far, three-quarters have been here, with more than 500 deaths, including six in Riyadh over 5 and 6 September.

The worry is that pilgrims will pick up the coronavirus that causes the disease when they travel to Mecca, and unknowingly take it back home with them. Earlier this yea,r MERS arrived in South Korea, where it infected 185 people, 36 of whom died as a result.

“The current outbreak is occurring close to the start of the Hajj, and many pilgrims will return to countries with weak surveillance and health systems,” warned the World Health Organization last week. “The recent outbreak in Korea demonstrated that when the MERS virus appears in a new setting, there’s great potential for widespread transmission and severe disruption to the health system and society.”

Avoid camels
Saudi Arabia itself is thought to be well prepared for spotting and treating cases after the Hajj begins on 21 September. “They have agents on the ground and clinics devoted specifically to MERS,” says WHO spokesman Christian Lindmeier. “The authorities are on extremely high alert for the Hajj, and there were zero cases last year.”

He says pilgrims should avoid close contact with people who have flu-like symptoms, report any symptoms immediately, sneeze or cough into their sleeves, and avoid contact with camels, the main reservoir for the virus identified so far.

The disease has an incubation period of up to two weeks before symptoms become apparent, making it important for home countries be on alert when the pilgrims return home to minimise the spread of the virus.

The WHO has also advised countries to warn pilgrims with diabetes, chronic lung disease, or compromised immune systems that they are more vulnerable to MERS, and should consult their doctor before travelling.

The virus itself does not seem to spread particularly easily from person to person in the community. So far, many cases have arisen in hospitals, where infected individuals have had close contact with staff and other patients.

“If everyone is vigilant, people can look forward to a successful Hajj,” says Lindmeier.



Conrad_73's photo

Conrad_73

Sun 09/13/15 10:50 AM

Drink Camel-Pi$$ they said!
It is healthy they said!laugh
no photo

unknown_romeo

Sun 09/13/15 11:08 AM

If anyone has ever tried camel meat it's delicious...i visited saudi arabia in 1997 & had it there it's one of their delicacies there so i was told
no photo

SassyEuro2

Mon 09/14/15 01:33 AM

The Jakarta Post
News
EDITORIAL
Editorial: Mecca tragedy

The Jakarta Post | September 14 2015 |

The devastating news came late on Friday that a crane had fallen on the Grand Mosque in Mecca, where thousands were performing the haj pilgrimage. Pending the results of an investigation, authorities have blamed strong winds and heavy rains for the accident, which killed at least 107 people of many nationalities and injured over 230 others. A number of Indonesians were among the dead. We extend our condolences to all victims’ families.

The accident, which took place amid ongoing renovations at the Grand Mosque, reveals a further risk to the mandatory Islamic pilgrimage — that of extreme weather conditions on top of the regular climate, which is already tough for many visitors to Saudi Arabia. Ironically, the renovation itself is part of the kingdom’s response to avoid more tragedies like the 1990 accident in which 1,426 pilgrims were killed in a stampede, attributed to an overcrowded pedestrian tunnel.

Other risks in recent times include exposure to Middle East respiratory syndrome (MERS), against which all pilgrims are vaccinated before departure.

Given the various challenges, the world’s Muslims recognize the commitment of Saudi Arabia to do their best for the “Guests of Allah”, as visitors to the holiest sites under the kingdom’s custody are called. One precautionary measure during the renovations was to reduce the quota of pilgrims from each country. As the country still sending the largest number of pilgrims despite the quota reduction — 168,000 this year — Indonesia bears a great responsibility to safeguard the well-being of its citizens going on the pilgrimage.

Following the accident, some have criticized the Saudi government for allowing the construction to continue even after the surrounding desert had been ravaged by storms, causing many to be hospitalized. We wait for the results of the investigation to prevent future calamities.

However, the Indonesian government could do much more to improve the pilgrimage for its citizens. Improvement measures continue at a snail’s pace. Indonesians have no control of their haj fund deposits, submitted to the Religious Affairs Ministry five or 10 years in advance. The trial of former religious affairs minister Suryadharma Ali is revealing signs of long-suspected corrupt practices.

Complaints about the food provided to pilgrims have triggered better control to ensure a better menu for the majority who opt for the bare-bones class of facilities. Improvement would be fairly radical if President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo could overcome resistance to ending the ministry’s control over billions of rupiah in haj funds by transferring management to an independent body.

If Jokowi succeeds, our pilgrims may be able to spend a much shorter time on their journey, as citizens of other countries do, potentially reducing the pilgrimage’s risks. Although pilgrimage is not supposed to be easy in any faith, even less so in the challenging environment of the desert, families are entitled to better assurance that their loved ones can perform their religious duty and return safe and sound.
no photo

SassyEuro2

Mon 09/14/15 03:02 PM

One tragedy after another... sad2

Pilgrims are traumatized

http://www.google.com/url?q=http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/saudi-king-top-imam-visit-injured-crane-collapse-33725706&sa=U&ved=0CB4QqQIwAWoVChMI9u2rv7v3xwIVwnM-Ch0ktw7-&usg=AFQjCNGIbbt7yFvi4aQOxDF6ok1xZ6pt5w/

Contruction boom & the dangers

http://www.google.com/url?q=http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/saudi-king-top-imam-visit-injured-crane-collapse-33725706&sa=U&ved=0CB4QqQIwAWoVChMI9u2rv7v3xwIVwnM-Ch0ktw7-&usg=AFQjCNGIbbt7yFvi4aQOxDF6ok1xZ6pt5w/
Rock's photo

Rock

Mon 09/14/15 09:20 PM


If anyone has ever tried camel meat it's delicious...i visited saudi arabia in 1997 & had it there it's one of their delicacies there so i was told


From what I understand, camel jerky isn't bad either.
panchovanilla's photo

panchovanilla

Mon 09/14/15 09:31 PM

Back in the day, I smoked a camel or 2.
no photo

SassyEuro2

Thu 09/24/15 02:57 AM

BREAKING NEWS: Saudi Arabian civil defense officials said Thursday that at least 220 people were killed and 450 others were injured in a stampede near the Muslim holy city of Mecca, where an estimated 2 million people are undertaking the traditional hajj pilgrimage.

Reuters, citing Saudi state television, reported that the stampede took place in Mina, a tent city located approximately three miles east of Mecca itself. The area is on the main road from the center of Mecca to the Hill of Arafat, revered by Muslims as the place where Muhammad gave his farewell sermon to Muslims who had accompanied him to Mecca near the end of his life.


Photos released by the Saudi civil defense directorate on its official Twitter account showed rescue workers in orange and yellow vests helping the wounded onto stretchers and loading them onto ambulances near some of the white tents.

The circumstances of the stampede were not immediately clear. However, Thursday marked the Muslim holiday of Eid al-Adha, which is traditionally the most dangerous day of the pilgrimage because so many people attempt to perform rituals in the same place simultaneously.

There has been a history of crowd tragedies during the hajj, which every Muslim is required to complete at least once in their life.

In 2006, 364 pilgrims were killed in a stampede at the entrance to a bridge leading to the site in Mina where pilgrims carry out a symbolic stoning of the devil by throwing pebbles against three stone walls. In 2004, 244 people were trampled to death on the final day of the hajj ceremonies.�

In the lead-up to this year's hajj, at least 111 people are killed and scores wounded when a crane collapsed in bad weather and crashed onto the Grand Mosque in Mecca, Islam's holiest site.

However, none of these tragedies comes close to matching the deadliest recorded accident during a hajj. That happened in 1990, when 1,426 were trampled or suffocated in a stampede in an overcrowded pedestrian tunnel leading to Mecca's holy sites.�

The Associated Press contributed to this report.
no photo

SassyEuro2

Thu 09/24/15 06:20 AM

Update : Stampede

Death toll, now over 453
Injured , now over 700

WWW.NDTV.COM
no photo

SassyEuro2

Thu 09/24/15 07:38 AM

UPDATE: shocked

717 people are dead and hundreds injured in a stampede near the Muslim holy city of Mecca, in Saudi Arabia, where about 2 million people are undertaking the hajj pilgrimage.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2015/09/24/at-least-150-people-killed-in-saudi-arabia-hajj-stampede/?intcmp=hpbt/

FoxNews.com
no photo

SassyEuro2

Fri 09/25/15 09:50 AM

Update : 1 hour ago.

Iran has led growing criticism of Saudi Arabia after at least 717 people died and 863 were injured in a stampede near the holy city of Mecca on Thursday.

Deaths reported so far by nationality
Iran: 131
India: 14
Egypt: 8
Pakistan: 6
Senegal: 5
Tanzania: 4
Turkey: 4
Indonesia: 3
Kenya: 3
Nigeria: 3
Netherlands: 1
Other nationalities (numbers not yet known): Niger; Chad
-------------------------------
Hajj stampede: Saudis face growing criticism over deaths - BBC News

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-34357383/
no photo

SassyEuro2

Sun 09/27/15 07:02 PM


Sat Sep 26, 2015
Haj death toll rises to 769, Iran denounces 'crime'
By Noah Browning

DUBAI (death toll in a crush at the annual haj pilgrimage outside Mecca rose to 769, Saudi Arabia said on Saturday, as arch-rival Iran said Saudi officials should be tried in an international court for what it called a crime.

The worst disaster to befall the Islamic event in a quarter of a century occurred on Thursday as two large groups of pilgrims arrived together at a crossroads in Mina, a few kilometers outside the holy city.

"The latest statistics up to this hour reveal 769 dead. That is an increase of 52 on the previous figures," Saudi health minister Khalid al-Falih told a news conference.

"Those are the ones who died in various hospitals since the event," he said, adding that 934 people were wounded.

Shi'ite Muslim Iran, which is locked in a series of proxy wars in Arab countries around the Sunni Muslim kingdom, says that at least 136 Iranians are among the dead, sparking protests and outrage in the Islamic Republic on Friday.

Over 300 other Iranians remain unaccounted for, including former ambassador to Lebanon Ghazanfar Roknabadi, Fars news agency reported.

At U.N., Iran's Rouhani calls for investigation into haj crush
"We will urge international courts and circles to start the trial of the Saudis for their crimes against haj pilgrims," Iran's Prosecutor General Ebrahim Raisi was quoted as saying by student news agency ISNA on Saturday

"This is not incompetence, it's a crime," Raisi told state broadcaster IRIB.

At the U. N. General Assembly, Iranian President Hassan Rouhani used his address to the summit to demand an investigation into the crush.

Protecting the visitors to mosques at the holy cities of Mecca and Medina is a key pillar of legitimacy for the Saudi royal family, and the king has the title of "custodian of the two holy mosques."

Speaking to the country's crown prince Crown Prince Mohammed bin Nayef, top Saudi cleric Abdulaziz Al al-Sheikh said he did not hold authorities responsible for the disaster.

"You are not responsible for what happened. You dealt with the beneficial factors that were in your hands and within your ability. As for the things that humans cannot control, you cannot blamed for them. Fate and destiny are inevitable," Al al-Sheikh, known as the Grand Mufti, said in a televised statement.

Al al-Sheikh also appeared to deflect criticisms of the kingdom from outside as a product of "envy."

"Many are envious of the kingdom for its religion, leadership, economy and the cohesion of its members, and for the great blessings it has experienced, unlike many other countries," he said.

[ http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKCN0RQ0FB20150926/